R: [TowerTalk] F12 C3E adventure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] F12 C3E adventure
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:32:03 +0200
Impedance apart, a properly cabled N connector is safer than any PL-259
connector already in the HF spectrum, and should be always used starting
from 50Mhz and above.
N connector withstands current and voltage well over the amateur legal
power, realize better the electrical junction and more important keeps it
inherently protected.
Although the N-connector is not rated for such power levels, I've seen no
damages occurred to one of it (male and female, on antenna side)
with >5Kw RF ( applied for days ), in a 100MHz  FM broadcast station.
Incidentally the antenna was damaged and SWR was higher than 1:3.
The troubles with N connectors are generally connected with bad or
improper mountings or by the use of low quality devices.
This also explains why the good adapters are generally so expensive
and why changing from a standard to another in a confortable way
(instead of using the best one) can somethimes lead to have troubles.

73,
Mauri I4JMY