[TowerTalk] Have I seen lightning chimney damage

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Have I seen lightning chimney damage
From: (Jim Smith)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:25:12 -0700
>And as to why the lightning hit the building while missing more convenient
>Beats me. If you can figure this one out you bound to make a lot of money.

    Any insulator will conduct electricity if the potential difference in
voltage is high enough. The best insulators, which are overcome by the high
voltage, will suffer the worst damage of all the conductors. This is because
the high resistance creates more heat. It is likely that the other
structures were hit, but being properly protected with a low impedance path
to ground, were able to safely channel the lightning to ground without
Jim Smith, KQ6UV