[TowerTalk] Lightning 'porcupines' & rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning 'porcupines' &amp; rods
From: n1lo@hotmail.com (Mark L.)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:16:14 GMT

Jim wrote:
<< Where does one find stainless steel foil? ...SNIP...73 Jim K7SLI >>

Hi Jim,
I found some rubber compression couplings at the local Lowes/Home Depot
store in the plumbing section. They are made to join underground sections of
iron pipe. They have a black rubber boot, two hose clamps, and a cuff of
thin, stainless steel sheet. Some cuffs are corrugated and a little harder
to use (can be hammered flat) and some are nice and smooth. I'm not sure
which grade of stainless these cuffs are.
These cuffs can be easily cut with snips for use as an intermediate metal
when mitigating corrosion between dissimilar clamped metals, such as
copper/aluminum and copper/galvanize. Use a coating of noalox antioxidant
(also at home centers in electrical section) for maximum effect. I think the
cuff material is 0.010 to 0.015" thick.

You can also buy this material much more cheaply from McMaster-Carr (
http://www.mcmaster.com ) as "Metal Shim Stock". They carry type 302/304
stainless (as well as other metals) in packs of 3 sheets 8" wide by 12" long
for about $5. The 0.010" thickness should do fine (Part # 9011K88).

--...MARK_N1LO...--