[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] tensioning guys

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tensioning guys
From: (
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:18:17 EDT
In a message dated 99-08-21 10:05:51 EDT, writes:

> Commenting on Loos tension gauge:
>  From: Ron Youvan <>
>  >   A cheaper way is to measure the droop (at mid-span) altho I don't know
>  how to calculate the correct >   value, it is another way to do it.
>  The calculations would be harder as the guys are not horizontal.  The the
>  biggest issue is:
>  How would you measure the droop at mid-span?
>  Back to square one?

     Yes, there's more than one way to measure guy wire tension. The easiest 
is the direct method where you use a tension dynamometer or strand or Loos 
tension meter. The Loos is $59.95 - the other two are $900 and $2300 

     There are two indirect methods you can use. One is the Pulse Method 
where you give the guy wire a sharp jerk (or swing) and you measure the 
return with a stop watch and crank the time along with the total weight of 
the guy, the guy length, vertical and horizontal measurements and some other 
data into a formula. The other indirect method is the Tangent Intercept 
method where in addition to much of the aforementioned information you need 
the guy angle at the anchor (probably best done with a transit) and, again, 
it's all cranked into a formula. These methods are obviously used for TALL 
towers with BIG guy wires - not your typical ham installation. More info and 
the formulas are in the TIA-222-F "Structural Standards for Steel Antenna 
Towers and Antenna Supporting Structures". 

      The obvious accurate, quick, inexpensive and *only* way to measure ham 
tower guy wire tensions is with a Loos. 

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>