[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] tensioning guys

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tensioning guys
From: Dick Green" < (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:38:04 -0400
I have a Loos PT-2 that I use to measure and adjust the tension of the
pull-down cable on my U.S. Tower MA-770MDP. It works well for that.

But what about measuring tension on types of cable for which the Loos is not
designed? My new AB-577/GRC military surplus portable mast has three sets of
1/8" stainless steel guys. The installation instructions simply say to "make
sure the mast is vertical and the guys are taut". I ended up tensioning the
guys so that there was no visible slack, there was some (but not a lot) of
"tightness", and the mast didn't move when a guy was grabbed and shaken
vigorously. The guy tension adjusters (called "snubbers") have a sort of
self-limiting feature -- they're designed to be tensioned by hand and
there's only so far you can turn them.

The mast looks quite sturdy in a 35MPH wind, and I'm sure the guys are not
so tight as to risk their breakage or compression damage to the mast. I
tried to make the tension as equal as possible, but it's hard to know. Does
anyone know of any measureing devices or "rules of thumb I can use to set my
mind at ease about this.

73, Dick WC1M

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>; <>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 1999 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tensioning guys

> In a message dated 99-08-21 10:05:51 EDT, writes:
> > Commenting on Loos tension gauge:
> >
> >  From: Ron Youvan <>
> >  >   A cheaper way is to measure the droop (at mid-span) altho I don't
> >  how to calculate the correct >   value, it is another way to do it.
> >
> >  The calculations would be harder as the guys are not horizontal.  The
> >  biggest issue is:
> >
> >  How would you measure the droop at mid-span?
> >
> >  Back to square one?
>      Yes, there's more than one way to measure guy wire tension. The
> is the direct method where you use a tension dynamometer or strand or Loos
> tension meter. The Loos is $59.95 - the other two are $900 and $2300
> respectively.
>      There are two indirect methods you can use. One is the Pulse Method
> where you give the guy wire a sharp jerk (or swing) and you measure the
> return with a stop watch and crank the time along with the total weight of
> the guy, the guy length, vertical and horizontal measurements and some
> data into a formula. The other indirect method is the Tangent Intercept
> method where in addition to much of the aforementioned information you
> the guy angle at the anchor (probably best done with a transit) and,
> it's all cranked into a formula. These methods are obviously used for TALL
> towers with BIG guy wires - not your typical ham installation. More info
> the formulas are in the TIA-222-F "Structural Standards for Steel Antenna
> Towers and Antenna Supporting Structures".
>       The obvious accurate, quick, inexpensive and *only* way to measure
> tower guy wire tensions is with a Loos.
> Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
> Champion Radio Products
> --
> FAQ on WWW:     
> Submissions:    
> Administrative requests:
> Problems:       
> Search:         

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>