[TowerTalk] TIC or TICK???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC or TICK???
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:16:51 -0000
Hi Mr. Farm:

I am assuming yours is a legitimate question phrased in a joke, so
I'lll respond.

A TIC ring is a rotor. It is unique in that it rotates the antenna
AROUND the tower, rather than rotating a mast to which an
antenna is attached (though there are accessories that allow you
to use it to rotate a mast).  This comes in handy for antennas not
at the top of a tower, where otherwise, a sidearm assembly is
needed which allows only partial rotation, and also creates
significantly more torque on the tower by being offset from its
center. Also, it's very heavy duty and will rotate some big
antennas. I believe N2NU rotates a 4 el 40 with one, and W4AN
has some big antennas on them too.

TIC has a partially completed Web site at www.ticgen.com. There
are some nice photos of the TIC ring at K4RO's Web site, posted
yesterday.

73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com