[TowerTalk] Guy alignment - friendly wager

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy alignment - friendly wager
From: (
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:31:48 PDT
Hi Jack,
  My vote goes to #2. This is the method i used 2 months ago to locate my
own anchors. It can be just as accurate as using the transit. The guy
anchors are equidistant from the respective tower legs. They are equidistant
from each other, albeit, a different distance than from the tower legs. If
both conditions are true, then the anchors are spaced exactly 120 degrees
apart. Not only does it work, even an idiot can figure it out! 73 Roy
Lincoln WA4DOU
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:25:00 EDT, wrote:

> Anyone care to help settle a friendly argumentative discussion and wager
> aligning guy points?
> A discussion on aligning guy points led to a wager between a couple local

> tower planners.
> Ham (1) Says:  The only satisfactory means to position guy points is to
use a
> transit at the point where the tower will be placed and accurately
> the center of each anchor point hole exactly 120 degrees apart.
> Ham (2) Says:  While using a transit is the ultimate method. Using string

> tied to each leg stretching them to the desired guy hole distance, then
> carefully measure and move each string until all three are the same
> apart  (measurement taken 25 feet from the tower on all three strings) is

> "close enough" so long as "String number 1 is carefully "eyeballed to be
> straight with the leg it is tied to.
> Ham (1) Replied:  Close enough only counts in hand grenades and horse
> and after considerable discussion both agreed to wager a cold six pack of

> cold 807's on Tower Talk responses.  The method receiving the most votes
> I raised a third consideration which is: Let's see what the Tower Talk
> come back with in the way of votes but also consider recommended
> Now this is a serious situation cause a cold 6 pack of 807' s is on the
>  So... anyone care to vote, comment or make  alternate recommendations?
> I will tally and post the votes along with other appropriate
>  It will be interesting to see what comes up, who knows, we may all learn

> something new.
> Thanks,
> Jack W0UCE
> --