[TowerTalk] Requested additional info on 4 SQR from N0AH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Requested additional info on 4 SQR from N0AH
From: w8ik@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:01:32 -0400

> As for raised radials- ON4UN really goes into detail on his single
> rasied radial system per vertical on his 80 meter four square-  I
> researched this a lot and found a variety of opinions on how effective
> they are or may not be compared to ground radials- ..... the findings
> seemed to indicate that the higher the raisied radials, the better.
> But that is another topic for someone other than me - I feel like
> those three monkeys talking about the subject-  I see no, hear no,
> speak no on raised radials- hihi

What everyone who points to ON4UN's "single raised raidal" system seems
to forget is that John's 80 Meter system is installed ABOVE HIS 160 METER
GROUND SYSTEM ... that system is "approximately 250 radiasl ranging from
18 M (60 ft) to 75 M (250 ft) in length [pg 9-41 ON4UN 2nd Edition]."

John talks about his choice of a single radial system for 80 meters
elsewhere in the book.  Since the 160 meter ground system provides
low losses ... the single radial approach was closen to provide some
high angle radiation for short hop (EU) multipliers during CQWW, etc.
An elevated radial system is no the end all and be all of vertical
antenna deisgn ... or the magic bullet often claimed.  ON4UN's system
was carefully designed for a specific function - one must consider
all aspects of the system as a whole.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>