[TowerTalk] 40-2CD and C3E (which on top)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD and C3E (which on top)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:17:39 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-01 15:50:46 EDT, W4nf@aol.com writes:

> The concrete was poured on Sunday and is now curing.  Yes, I'm keeping it
>  moist according to all the prior posts on the subject.  The tower will be
75'

>  of 25G with 12' of mast outside the tower.
>
>  The question is - should I put the 40-2CD at 76' and the C3E at 87' or
> should
>  I put the 40 mtr beam on top.  My reasoning was, I wasn't as impressed
with
>  the boom to element mount on the 40-2CD as I am with the F12 design.  So I
>  figured I would probably be doing more maintenance on the 40 mtr beam
>  (possible twisted elements, linear loading coils, etc...) than the F12 C3E
>  and that is why I was going to put it right above the top of the tower.

      I would mount the 40 right above the tower for the same reasons. The
402CD won't require much in the way of maintenance but in general, the bigger
the antenna, the more maintenance will be required.

>  As  I
>  remember the wind load of the two are rather close and I have a chrome
molly
>  steel mast which can handle the 40 on top.  Will that extra 11 feet make
that
>  much difference on 40?

      Well, it's only about 8% of a wavelength so while some subtle things
might be a result, I don't think you'll ever notice any difference.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech