[TowerTalk] Lowering C3S 10m frequency coverage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lowering C3S 10m frequency coverage
From: gorslin@pathcom.com (Gorsline Family)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:25:05 -0400
The C3S, roof mounted, has to come down for re-roofing.  In TT postings
last summer and fall, several new C3S owners discussed difficulties in
lowering the resonance frequency to cover the cw end of the 10m band
with a reasonable SWR.  Same for me, although surprisingly for the low
mounting height, the 15m and 20M SWR ranges are reasonable - 2:1 or less
across 20m and all but the high end of 15m.  Many of these problems were
traced to bad coax connector cables that seemed fine for the predecessor
antenna, suspected balun issues, not a long enough run of coax to get
the expected losses, etc.  Did all that and more - see link below for
details.

Since taking the C3S down requires that it be disassembled on the roof -
joys of centre city lot - it also offers the opportunity to make changes
when reinstalled.  Does anyone have any experiences which would be
useful?  Please e-mail to me - I'll post a summary.

PS After one year - performance?  DXCC worked 298 > 310 with 100 watts
++ YF thinks the profile is less ugly than the previous trapped
tri-bander.  And 12 and 17 with a tuner.

tnx & 73,  George VE3YV / K8HI

Reference links:
www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9808/0044.html  K9NX
www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9810/0841.html  VE3YV