[TowerTalk] Tower Height question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Height question
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:53:37 -0500
Since your main interest is 20 and 40 meters, you will notice some difference
on 20 meters @ 70 feet, as this was optimum for 20m here in TX when I had a
Tri-Ex
70 footer for many years. You will notice a large difference on 40m. Try to use
as
long a mast as you can.

Another good thing about a 70 foot crank-up is that is is several times stronger
when cranked down to 50 feet which gives great performance on 15 and 10m
when the WX is bad, and will be a little better on 20m @ 50 feet than it is now.
The absence of guy wires is a plus for maintaining a good pattern.

You can shunt feed the whole thing for 80m and 160m. It will be a killer on
those two bands as a top loaded vertical.

Been there, done all that, got the "T" shirt and 9 band DXCC!

GL!

Phil, K5PC

Hello,
I need some practical experience from some of you guys who
have "been there."  I currently have a Mosley TA-34 XL tribander on
a 30 ft. tower.  I am considering buying a new crank-up.  The main
question is, is there a major difference from the 50ft. level to the 70
ft. level.  The price difference between the 50 and 70 is enough to
make me question it (realizing that 70ft. models generally come
with motors, postive pull down, etc.).  But my question really lies in
"is it worth the $ and effort to get the largest tower in height that I
can afford?"  I generally will work 20 and 40 meters with this set-
up.
Thanks in advance for any input fellas.

Kirk   AB8BC