[TowerTalk] tarring guy anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tarring guy anchors
From: w9ol@dataflo.net (Bill Heinzinger)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:59:47 -0500
>From my MANY years of experience with concrete, masonry, licensed/bonded
City of Chicago contractor etc.
I DO NOT suggest covering anchors with tar.

First off, even the largest of buildings do not coat rebar except for the
natural bluing (now it's green).
Columns which are attached to bolts embedded in foundations are not coated
except with factory paint/galvanizing.

Placing any tar type substance on guy anchors or tower sections in or just
above the concrete bases traps more water than it protects against.
When the tar gets old, it traps even more water.
Water may be the source of life but not for steel or aluminum.

Concrete bases should be poured to above grade and crowned.

Anyone wanting amplification of how I made my living replacing structural
steel that was tarred can email me privately.
Bill

homepage at
http://www.dataflo.net/~w9ol