[TowerTalk] rotator problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotator problems
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:02:19 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-20 09:49:37 EDT, gbay@home.com writes:

> I have a ham IV turning a TH-11DX which has been working fine for
>  over a year.  Prior to that, it turned a KT-34A for about 10 years.  When I
>  put up the TH-11DX last year, I performed normal maintenance on the tower
>  including greasing the thrust bearing.  Everything seemed to be aligned OK.
>  I haven't used the antenna for a few months.
>
>  Today, I went to turn the antenna and noted that it works from about NW to
>  East but that it binds up beyond these directions and stops turning.  I've
>  checked the rotator bolts and they are tight.  The rotator makes all the
>  normal sounds in the sectors in which it rotates.

      Loosen the bolts on the thrust bearing and try it again. Or loosen the
mast clamp and try turning the antenna by hand. If the TB is binding, then
just leave it loose and no harm done. If the TB is not binding, then you
probably need to have the rotator PM'ed. If it has been in service for 10
years, it's overdue for some maintenance.

      It sounds like the rotator is starting so your motor capacitor is
probably okay. It sounds like some mechanical bind or rotator problem.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech