[TowerTalk] Re: [stainless hardware]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [stainless hardware]
From: b4e@earthlink.net (DavidC)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:23:45 -0400
> The good news is, when the stainless fasteners gall and seize,
> they are fairly easy to shear.
> George T. Daughters, K6GT

George, et al:

   Am I reading-in too much or does this suggest that stainless
is significantly weaker, and more prone to failure?

   If the stainless bolts are "fairly easy to shear" then are they
not also more likely to do so under high wind conditions?

   Here on the west coast of Florida we were just now threatened
by a relatively weak Harvey (60+ winds) but it could have been a
more powerful equivalent to Floyd (145+ winds).  I am designing
for 125 MPH winds and after that will pray!

Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP