[TowerTalk] Re: KT34XA vs Modern design

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: KT34XA vs Modern design
From: ve6yc@home.com (Peter Larsen)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:23:03 +0100

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> > Anybody have any theoretical, or practical real world  observations of
> >the KT 34XA vs some of the smaller, newer beams?
> >
>       Did you forget about our tribander comparison test? Why depend on
> anecdotal input when we spent dozens of hours testing a dozen tribanders
> on-the-air including the C31XR, C3, and KT34XA.

I just got my copy, what a lot of info to digest!! I read it in less
than 24 hours, and have now reread it.
It may answer all of your questions, but it may give you more.

One small aside here, when I saw the beam patterns of the TH-7 I was
quite surprised. I am sure I have seen them before... Oh now I remember.

I have a TS-690. There is a good rig control program from Italy for
this rig. It has the ability to take S-meter readings to form a beam
pattern. Mine came out very similar to Steve and Ward's TH7 pattern.

I have a TH-6 at 72 feet. My test was done over about 15 miles of
city to a friend's place.
He had a CL-33 at 56 feet. They were equal on 15, mine was slightly
better on 20, and smoked the CL-33 on ten.

Just one test on one day, not to be inferred that the TH-6 is any better
on DX than the CL-33. We were just having fun.

See you all later
Peter
VE6YC