[TowerTalk] Calculating Raised Guy Height-Lengths?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Calculating Raised Guy Height-Lengths?
From: w6ter@worldnet.att.net (Gerald Smith)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:54:36 -0400
David,

I just went through similar engineering with a PE. The PE specified
square tubular construction steel (TS), 7" x 7" x 3/8". Further, of 8.5
feet, 5' above grade, 1' in grade, 2 1/2' in concrete. The concrete is
5' x 5' x 5', the top of which is 1' below grade. #4 rebar is used 12"
on center, each way.

As to connection to the TS, the PE specified a plate through the top of
the TS, in a slit. The plate is 12" x 12" x 1/2". A 1" round bar is
welded to the plate, at least 4". A guy equalizer plate is welded to the
other end of the round bar.

Remember, you must have something attached and protruding to the bottom
of the TS for the concrete to adhere. In my case, 8 each 1/2" x 6"
protrusions, welded to the TS. The are called "Nelsons" or "H.A.S."

You might want to consult a local PE for more detail and to be safe.
Remember, the type of earth in your area may vary thereby altering the
requirements.

Gerry, W6TER