[TowerTalk] Tower permits and seals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower permits and seals
From: wilder@abs.net (Dick Wilder (K3DI))
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:39:34 -0400 (EDT)
The discussion needing a PE seal to get a tower permit was a surprise to
me.  I have put up three towers in Anne Arundel Co, Maryland.  One about
1978 at a prior QTH and two here; about 1987 and 1990.  With
each of the three applications for a permit, I gave them a check for $15,
copies of Rohn drawings, and penciled in the location on the survey
plat.   The clerk checked the plat to see that:
        the tower was 100 ft or less,
        the location met certain setback requirements, and
        the tower height did not exceed the max height based
                on setback and property width.
Another county person OK'ed the material and I was issued a permit
within 10 minutes to an hour (if approval guy was at lunch).

I was home for one inspection.  The inspector walked to hole for a
Rohn CB-1 base, looked down, and said, "I don't know what I'm looking at!"
I showed him the tower drawings and tower base drawings but after 20
seconds, he lost interest in my lecture, gave me an "approved" sticker,
and walked away.

But, you may live in a county that makes a big deal over little
(under 200 ft) towers.

73, Dick Wilder, K3DI