[TowerTalk] Re: 90 + DB f/b

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 90 + DB f/b
From: david.b.curtis@intel.com (Curtis, David B)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:56:52 -0700
Umm...
1. See the smiley.
2. 90 dB? Mathematically achievable.  But...
2a. Does the design have margin?  Can you move or change the wires more than
a tiny amount without seeing this miraculous notch disappear?  If so, you
have design margin.  If not, you have a modeling anomaly.
2b. Can you build this antenna in the real world and measure 90+ dB of f/b?
If you can, you have some very nice, expensive instruments. Or maybe broken
ones. And you have an astounding antenna. 90 dB is a 1,000,000,000 X
difference in signal strength. I'm guessing a lot of dummy loads are less
than 90 dB down from a dipole.

An interesting side note:
The current Novice question pool has a question something like:
Q: An SWR of 1:1 means ____.
One of the distracter answers is "Your SWR meter is broken."  I about split
a gut laughing over that one! If I were the examiner, I'd give full credit
for this answer. :-)

73, Dave "the skeptical" N6NZ