Tower Load Capacity (was [TowerTalk] Rohn 35)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Load Capacity (was [TowerTalk] Rohn 35)
From: millersg@dmapub.dma.org (Steve Miller)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
<n4kg@juno.com> writes:
> It is my understanding that the ultimate tower load capacity is
> determined by the maximum load that can be supported by the
> bottom section.

Wrong.

While this is one factor in determining a tower's load capacity,
you must account for other factors such as guy strength, torque
(especially if you use 'swinging gate' side mounts), and other
less obvious failure modes to determine the ultimate tower load
capacity.

BTW, the descriptions of some of the schemes used to secure tower
bases in the non-permanent tower thread scare me. I'm glad my
tower will be resting on a big hunk of concrete.

73, Steve

--
Steve Miller   N8SM   millersg@dma.org   http://www.dma.org/~millersg