[TowerTalk] Alternate Shorty 40

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alternate Shorty 40
From: ValErwin@aol.com (ValErwin@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:28:20 EDT
Esteemed Tower Climbers:

I have had up a Cushcraft X7 for about 18 months.  At the time of
installation I DID NOT install the 40M shorty 40 add on kit.

Yesterday, I acquired a used Cushcraft D40 shorty 40 rotatable dipole in
excellent condx.  In as much as the D40 is only appx. 1 foot longer than the
X7 designed 40 meter upgrade kit, would you anticipate any problem if I used
the D40 in lieu of the designed X7 upgrade kit? The D40 would be installed at
the designated position for the normal X7 upgrade kit. Obviously, I would
prefer not to make any further contributions to CC and use this  D40 if at
all possible interleaved with the rest of the elements on the X7 as opposed
to mounting it above the X7.

I do anticipate that if I try this, I would have to retune the D40 slightly
due to the proximity to the other elements (installed between elements # 2
and # 3) on the X7. (NOTE: I would have a separate coax to the D40 just as
you must run a separate coax to the  normal X7 40M upgrade kit.)

Comments, criticism, etc. ??

Val
W5PUT