[TowerTalk] Force-12 balun construction

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force-12 balun construction
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 11:42:47 +0000
At 10:30 PM 11/8/99 EST, wrote:
>>His problem with the open leads turned out to be
>>mechanical; a length of unsupported coaxial cable had been pulling on
>>the balun.  He suspects that is what broke the leads, one on the
>>outside, one on the inside.
>Does anyone offer a well made choke type balun that incorporates a means of
>supporting the coax other than by the connector?

With RG-8/213, I usually loop the coax back and tape it securely to body of
the balun on my dipoles.  Looks ugly, but it takes the strain.  On dipoles
fed with RG-8X, I don't bother, and have never had a failure at that point.
 I have had lots of fasilures involving the pigtail leads, though, and
finally cured that by rolling my own bead baluns, with a PL-259 on each
end, and using Budwig RF-1 center insulators.  They are VERY sturdy.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is just a tower