[TowerTalk] folded dipole

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] folded dipole
From: (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:29:56 -0600
> I've seen ads for a Barker/Williamson folded dipole for 160 thru 10.
> It's only 90 some feet overall.
> Anyone use this design and does it work.
> Does anyone have formulas/instructions for making something like this.
> I'm real estate challenged and even a modest folded dipole performance would
> beat what I have for 160/80.
> thanks

I played with one of these years ago.
At the top center of the dipole there is a big 800 ohm non-inductive
resistor. What you really have is a dummy load with a very lossy
transmission line feeding it. Before the flames begin, I did not say
it doesn't work....I made many contacts as a kid with a Heathkit AT-1
feeding a light bulb through 50 feet of zip cord.

Phil, K5PC