[TowerTalk] Using Split Beads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using Split Beads
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 08:50:05 -0600

> I ordered some material 43 split beads to place on rg8 coax.  It appeared
> to me that the coax had an outside diameter of 3/8 of an inch, so that
> was the size of split bead I ordered.  Now that I have the beads, the
> inside "hole" of the split beams is a bit small for the outside diameter of
> the coax.
>
> So, my question is, is it essential that both halves of the split bead
> actually touch each other, to fully encirle the coax, to work optimilly,
> or will they still be effective, even if there is a small gap between the
> two halves of the split bead?
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Herb - KG6OK

I had that problem once, Herb.
I carefully removed enough outer jacket from the end of the
coax to accommodate the beads plus one foot. I slipped the beads on,
and then slid the outer jacket back on until the beads were jammed up
nice and tight. I then cut the end of the outer jacket off even with the
end of the coax. A heat gun helps if the jacket is tight. Then I put
two layers of shrink tubing over the whole area. If you are putting this
on a tower, or in a remote spot, you can cover the area with a PVC
pipe and end caps with Romex clamps  to protect and remove the
strain.

GL!
Phil, K5PC