[TowerTalk] Open Wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Open Wire
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:12:29 +0000
Guys,

My simple question about why one would use open wire in these days
generated quite a bit of "noise" for open wire fans.

There are two chief benefits from them:

1) Long runs like 1000' plus are not affordable with coax.
(Like guys on 100'x100' lots care).  I can't imagine stringing 1000'
of open wire line.  The supports must cost a fortune and the work
involved seems overwhelming.

2) You can load an 80 meter dipole on all bands with it.  The same
people pointing this out as a benefit admit to RF in the shack
problems.

It seems that one thing has been forgotten.  The line may be lossless.
The tuner isn't.  Read QST and you will see that many of the
commercial
units available today have power losses of 30% or more.  The best unit
quoted was a Johnson Matchbox.

So you've substituted line loss for tuner loss.

Again where's the benefit?

73 de Brian/K3KO