[TowerTalk] re: open wire line

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: open wire line
From: (
Date: 17 Nov 1999 05:46:29 -0000
To: <>
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:12:29 +0000
> From: alsopb <>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open Wire
> My simple question about why one would use open wire in these days
> generated quite a bit of "noise" for open wire fans.
> There are two chief benefits from them:
> 1) Long runs like 1000' plus are not affordable with coax.
> (Like guys on 100'x100' lots care).  I can't imagine stringing 1000'
> of open wire line.  The supports must cost a fortune and the work
> involved seems overwhelming.

I just finished installing 1000 ft of open wire line.  Much cheaper
and lower loss than coax and the supports didn't cost a fortune.
We used T-posts every 50 feet with plastic insulators on top to
support it and 2 extra spacers between each support.  Used 4 gauge
aluminum stranded wire on 5 inch centers for 450 ohms.  Only .7 dB
loss on 40 meters including 50/450 ohm transformers at each end.  The
transformers are made of 4 big toroids per W8JI's design. No tuners
involved here.  Took a couple of weekends to put up.  Next time probably
1 day or so, now that I know what to do.

Rick Karlquist N6RK