[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 guy radius oddness.. 80% vs 50%?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 guy radius oddness.. 80% vs 50%?
From: zippy@sunsetd.com (Ryan Niemi - AV)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:06:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,
        I've been browsing the TowerTalk reflector archives for a while,
to gather as much info as I can before installing a small Rohn 25 at a
hilltop site.  I just received my Rohn Consumer Products catalog
yesterday, and ran across some interesting things.  Hopefully someone has
some insight:

        I see Rohn usually specifies the guy radius for their towers as
80% of the height.  But near the back of the catalog, they have some
drawings for Rohn 25/45/55 for use with TVRO (?) dish antennas, and show
all of them with a 50% guy radius (with 3 way guying, even), with up to a
6' dish at the top of the tower.  The drawings are in the Mounts section,
pages MS-62 through MS-67.  Any idea what's going on here?  I'm looking at
putting up anywhere between a 40' self-supporting tower and a 60' guyed
tower.  My site will be on a small piece of leased land at the top of a
local hill, with future lease rates depending on how much space I take up,
so I'd certainly like to look into why Rohn shows their towers with 50%
guy radius in some cases.  My antenna load will be very light, with just a
17" whip at the top and a small parabolic grid at the 20' level.  What are
TVRO antennas, and why does Rohn show their towers at a 50% guy radius
when used to support TVRO antennas?  I see the Rohn drawing specifies this
layout for a 70MPH basic wind speed, and I'm in a 75MPH zone.  Would I be
ill advised to consider setting up a 60' Rohn 25 this way?  I guess I'd
still be following the LXC directive if it's in the Rohn catalog, but
perhaps I missed something important somewhere.. (?)

Thanks,
 -Ryan