[TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors
From: steve_fraasch@adc.com (Steve Fraasch)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:30:25 -0600
Re Crimp-ons:

Scott, you must admit that other people can have other experiences...

I've had numerous crimp-on connector failures on commercially installed
coax lines over the years used outdoors.  These have been on various
coax lines.  If you can't trust a commercial entity to install them
correctly, who can you trust ?  (I now install all of my own
connectors).

The CATV industry has dumped crimped "F" connectors in favor of the
Augat line on RG-59 and RG-6.  These use a press-in retainer from the
backside.  These are not the metal connector "smash" types.

There's no way that I am going to install a trashy crimp-on connector on
an expensive line ($2/foot).

As far as failed SMB crimp-ons: I have a whole pile of these in our lab
downstairs that have failed.

You can have them.

Steve Fraasch, -2014