[TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors
From: (
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:15:23 EST
Steve,    Scott pointed out that there are a lot of "hacks" in the industry.
True.  You point out that you do them correctly yourself (because of the
hacks you've experienced).  Most any ham can do them correctly with a decent
tool and connectors.  You point out no way you'll use trashy crimps on $2.00
per foot line.  I agree, that's why I use what I sell and vice
versa.....they're not trashy connectors.  Also, if its LMR or Heliax etc. I
use the Times or Andrew Licensed installers that I've picked, to insure the
proper installation  and to insure the cable and connector warranty.   Thanks
    Steve, K1PEK    DAVIS RF Co.

In a message dated 11/19/99 12:43:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

 Re Crimp-ons:
 Scott, you must admit that other people can have other experiences...
 I've had numerous crimp-on connector failures on commercially installed
 coax lines over the years used outdoors.  These have been on various
 coax lines.  If you can't trust a commercial entity to install them
 correctly, who can you trust ?  (I now install all of my own
 The CATV industry has dumped crimped "F" connectors in favor of the
 Augat line on RG-59 and RG-6.  These use a press-in retainer from the
 backside.  These are not the metal connector "smash" types.
 There's no way that I am going to install a trashy crimp-on connector on
 an expensive line ($2/foot).
 As far as failed SMB crimp-ons: I have a whole pile of these in our lab
 downstairs that have failed.
 You can have them.
 Steve Fraasch, -2014