[TowerTalk] MFJ 1792 - 80/40 m antenna

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 1792 - 80/40 m antenna
From: (Jim MIller)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:55:16 -0500

I successfully phased four (4) of the MFJ-1792 verticals as an 80 meter
4-Square with 40-50 radials each 60'-70' long. There is no adjustment on
40, it is a 1/4 wave on 7 MHz. I trimmed a few inches from each spoke
until it was resonant at 3.775. Then removed the same amount from the
other three verticals spokes, and connected all to a Comtek Hybrid
Phasing Coupler.

For the $$, I thought they  were well built, and the Teflon loading coil
for Top-Loading was an efficient method of loading a short antenna.

I suggest your friend remove the 15 foot wire to see what affect it has
on SWR.

The aluminum spokes are trimmed to raise 75m-80m frequency.

Good Luck!

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:09:04 -0000 "Gian Luca Cazzola" <>
> Dear friends,
> a friend of mine, Mauro I4JEE has bought an MFJ 1792 80-40m vertical
> antenna.
> He has assembled it on a garage roof-at the side, about 12 feet from
> the
> ground. He has connected 5 radial wire, about 35
> feet long. He has also connected a ground wire (abt 15 feet long).
> The antenna has lower swr at 7.5Mhz (more than swr 2,5) and at
> 3,6mhz (about
> swr 4). Tomorrow he will try to connet other
> 4 radials, but I think he will solve nothing.
> Does anybody know or own this (bad and strange behaviour) thing
> called MFJ
> 1792?
> Can he suggest something to solve the problems?
> Thanks es 73
> Ian IK4EWX
> --
> FAQ on WWW: