[TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimping PL-259s, Installing PL-259 Connectors
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:09:10 EST
In a message dated 19.11.99 12:37:40 Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:

<< CC:  steve_fraasch@adc.com

 Steve:

    Applying silicon to the PL259 and SO239 threads is a must.  Use a Q tip
inside the PL259 and a tooth brush on the SO239.  Do you have evidence that a
very light coat of silicone on the PL259 center conductor is conductivity
detrimental on a dry center connection?  I'll have to run a high power test
and see if it heats dry or coated.
     On the old PL259's, water could get by the center pin insulator through
2 small holes.  I used to spray the center insulator with acrylic spray and
let it run into the soldered connector a few times and then after it dried,
coat around the pin with silicone rubber, I never ever had one leak when
untaped.  I did tape behind the barrel.  The newer connectors have no holes
in the center dielectric but I still coat it with silicone rubber.
      If one doesn't solder the shield of polly foam coax fast, the foam
overheats and flows up through the shield and you have to start over.  I've
wrapped the shield end with a very fine copper wire on the end and tined the
shield over the foam very quickly.  File any high spots if necessary.  I then
inserted the tined shield onto the connector and did a quick solder job
through the holes with no foam bleed out.  I drill the 4 holes one drill size
larger and bevel the holes.  It's easier to get the soldering iron tip in the
hole down to the tined or untined shield.  It gives more solder grip area on
the shield.
 k7gco >>