I was exactly in your situation 2-3 yrs ago. Same antenna. Same history of
The possible mechanical modifications were listed in some e-mail exchanges on
one of the reflectors. Basically there are 6 mechanical problems that you
will probably want to fix:
(1) high stress to 1-1/4" sections of the driven element and reflector;
(2) securing the elements to the boom;
(3) corrosion of screws in the loading coils;
(4) driven element insulator;
(5) boom joints not secure;
(6) wind balance.
2.5 yrs ago I made all the modifications except # 3. I figured that we here
in Colorado didn't need to worry about the corrosion factor since we have
such dry climate (plus I got lazy). But, this past Sunday I tracked my
suddenly skyrocketed SWR (10:1) to a corroded screw in underneath the
insulation of one of the loading coil. LESSON: be sure and do that mod too.
The antenna (as modified) has otherwise held up well under high winds and
very heavy wet snow conditions. It has worked real well for me and made 40
mtrs a lot more fun.
Others on the list will probably send you the particulars on the mods. I
have them all typed up with a parts list and measurements....but
unfortunately, they aren't in digital form anymore.
If you end up needing them just say so and I'll make a copy and either fax or
mail to you on Monday. In the meantime, I'll be real near you over the week
end. Operating 40 from K0RF (just east of Longmont).
73.....Alan / K0AV (Colorado Springs)
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com