[TowerTalk] Do Log-Periodics Stress the Selectivity of theReceiver?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Do Log-Periodics Stress the Selectivity of theReceiver?
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:11:29 -0600
Some time ago on this or another reflector, there was a discussion on Log
Periodic's compared to Yagi's.  A user of both made a statement of how
he/she had observed that the Log heard and worked stations earlier and later
in a given band opening than the Yagi.  But when signals got stronger the
Yagi had it all over the Log.  I'm trying to remember the full explanation,
but it may have been attributed to the bandwidth of the Log or perhaps the
wider/larger angle of received signal of the Log compared to the Yagi.  The
Log may not be as height sensitive to the angle of received signal as the
Yagi.

I have been watching this with much curiosity but have yet to see a repeat
of this info from the last time.  I would like to know more without having
to buy a Log myself.  At least not till I am sure it could help my station.

73
Greg K9ZM