[TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:05:44 -0500
On 12/4/99 10:20 AM, Steve Babcock at wrote:

>I now have since cleaned the rods and keep them lubed with
>light WD-40.

WARNING! Look very carefully at your can of WD-40. Nowhere will you find
the word "lubricant".

Sure, WD-40 has lubricating properties, but its components are way too
volatile to stay in place long enough to do the job. After a couple of
weeks, any lubrication is GONE. WD-40 is designed to penetrate and
displace water.

If you want to use a silicone lubricant, get one that is waxy enough to
do the job. LPS makes an excellent series of products. I would recommend
LPS 2.

Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales