[TowerTalk] Tower construction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower construction
From: Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com (Lonberg, Hank)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:56:12 -0800
Mel:

Actually tube, if you are refering round sections, shapes are a little more
expensive than angle. The round section has full symmetry and is a more
efficient shape in compression loading than an angle shape due to the lack
of symmetry of the angle. Tower legs are actually sized by their compression
load carrying capacity, assuming a trussed type tower with diagonals, not by
flexural strength. Actually an angle shape is the worst type of  cross
section next to a flat bar for axial load capacity.

Tube shapes are also more difficult to fabricate in three dimensions.
However being more efficient they can be lighter in a pounds per foot sense
and present a smaller x-section to the wind.

So in summary the use of tubular in tower legs comes from efficiency in
section; weight; and wind load area decision by the manufacturer or
designer.

73

Hank Lonberg,  P.E. / KR7X
Beaverton, OR  USA
Kr7x@arrl.net <mailto:Kr7x@arrl.net>
Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com <mailto:Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com>

Team Pantelleria - IH9P - African Italy - CQWW DX SSB
http://www.qsl.net/ih9p/
<http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/eudora/126/ih9p.html>