[TowerTalk] DMSO in WD-40 (NOT)

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DMSO in WD-40 (NOT)
From: (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:00:06 -0500
On Wednesday, December 08, 1999 11:46 AM, Bill Coleman AA4LR
[] wrote:
> WD-40 is good for loosening stuck hardware and other such temporary
> lubrication needs. It is not a long-term lubricant. In fact, the can
> doesn't have the word "lubricant" anywhere on it.
> Try this experiment: Find a squeeky door hinge in your house. Use WD-40
> on it. It will stop squeeking. Keep a record of how long it takes for the
> squeek to come back. Try again with LPS 2.
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail:
> Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
>             -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Yes, yes, yes.  The can says it "stops squeaks" but doesn't say for how
A locksmith once told me that WD-40 was about as bad a "lubricant" as there
could be for sticky keylocks.  Everybody uses it and it usually works in the
short-term, but mostly just dissolves any existing lubricant in the lock and
when it dries up the lock is in worse condition than before.  He comes along
and uses a real lubricant and, voila, all better.