[TowerTalk] DMSO in WD-40 (NOT)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DMSO in WD-40 (NOT)
From: pmcinnish@att.net (Paul McInnish - K4BET)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:52:35 -0500
How about another caveat... NEVER... I MEAN NEVER!! make the mistake of
attempting to clean or lubricate your favorite firearm with WD-40!!
There are some chemicals in WD-40 that will react with the nitrites
residue from the gunpowder and the resultant residue is highly
corrosive!!  I have known of some folks that had some of the prettiest,
deepest, darkest blued finish pieces and after using WD-40 for 2-3
years, the finish was gone, ugly and pitted!

Not to mention the fact that it evaporates very quickly and the metal is
unprotected and exposed to the moisture laden air! Result? Rust!

I know, there will be some (claimed) gunsmiths that will flame me for
this but a true gunsmith will not allow WD-40 on his bench!