[TowerTalk] Lubricant / protectant (Was tower winch lubricant)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lubricant / protectant (Was tower winch lubricant)
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:47:16 EST
I agree with AA4LR and others about the relative worthlessness of WD40 as a
lubricant. It does a great job of loosening rusted bolts, displacing water,
however.

I have had good success in using a couple products that cross over from
aviation - my other avocation.
Both are used for blocking corrosion on metallic surfaces, and seem to work
well on tower and antenna applications:

Corrosion X - Will dissolve light rust and corrosion from aluminum and steel.
Used mainly as a corrosion preventive on airplane interior aluminum structures.

Boeshield - Made by Boeing - This has a waxy consistency and will repel water
more than Corrosion X or similar products.

These are available from most Aircraft Supply Houses, many of which are on the
web such as:
San-Val
Chief Aircraft Products
Aircraft and Spruce