[TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?
From: (Dave D'Epagnier)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:26:35 -0700
David, how far is your tower from the shack? I wonder about whether the
tower ground should be connected to your house ground with something other
than the shield of your coax cable(s). My thought is that if your tower is
located a ways from the shack then as a charged cloud moves overhead (or if
lightning strikes) the ground potentials at the tower ground and the shack
ground will be different. This will cause current flow between the two and
it'll take the least resistance path which will be down the shield of your
coax cables. It seems like it would be better to keep everything more or
less at the same potential by connecting both grounds together with some
heavy wire/cable/strap, and placing ground rods between the tower and shack.
That way most of the current (either from charge build up or during a
lightning strike) flows along the ground cable instead of on your coax. Bob
and I have gone round and round on this. He thinks it's a waste of money,
I'm not so sure. Does anybody else on this list have a strong opinion one
way or another about this?