[TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259s

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259s
From: (
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:28:20 -0600
Hi Pete - it's a good point - we did it for years, but learned one
further point - don't just tighten those nuts each time - loosen them
first, then tighten, not so firmly that you wreck 'em. Repeat several
times, and you'll lower the resistance in the contact a little more each
time by cutting through the oxide buildup..
We had planned to chase down some hi-temp "goop" of some sort, to retard
the problem, but never got around to it. We finally dumped all of the
Wellers and bought a carbon arc soldering station which is much better
for production work.
There was an interesting post about subbing carbon in a Weller - might
try it sometime!

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  and the WIRELINE news
and bargain page.  Our 22nd year!

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:19:16 +0000 Pete Smith <>