[TowerTalk] Inspecting tower sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inspecting tower sections
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 06:06:42 EST
In a message dated 08.12.99 15:05:33 Pacific Standard Time, n7cl@mmsi.com
writes:
     Silicone grease will keep moisture and air off a surface longer than
another other grease--therefore no corrosion even with dissimilar metals.
Dittos to the comments below.  It won't wash off or get hard at low temps.
SS bolts and self tapping screws through tubing need to be coated as well as
the hole with a pipe cleaner or aluminum oxide will form eventually.  Use it
on tower joints and coax connectors.
k7gco
<<
 Hi Guys,

 See my comments below.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
 >Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:48:08 -0700
 >
 >Yes, I know what you're thinking ... aluminum and copper will
 >cause corrosion. I thought the same but he assures me that
 >corrosion does not occur when this product is used on aluminum,
 >stainless or galvanized fittings. I believe him. It's got
 >"anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibitors", say the
 >manufacturer.

 Both the anti-oxidants and the corrosion inhibitors _are_ the
 grease.  The function of the grease is to keep the atmospheric
 oxygen and any liquid electrolyte from being able to touch any of
 the material protected by the grease.

 >By the way there is nothing wrong with having a grease carrier.
 >A lot of people use Dow Corning Pure Silicone Grease for coax
 >cable fittings.  It works fine.

 This is true.

 The issue isn't whether grease is a good idea, the issue is
 specifically what kind of grease is appropriate.  If the grease
 is virtually any of the petroleum based varieties, in my
 experience, it will eventually leave the joint - either by
 solvent action or by evaporation.  Of course, the time required
 for damage to occur is _highly_ dependent on the specific
 environment that the system is exposed to.  Here in Tucson, none
 of this is a terribly important consideration even though it
 _does_ rain - sometimes (I'm told).  But there are many places
 where this consideration is critical (coastal areas, acid rain
 zones, etc.).

 If the silicone grease is a variety with the right properties, it
 will be insoluble in the solvents it is likely to encounter in
 your antenna system and it will not evaporate.

 In any case, if the grease disappears, any unprotected outdoor
 joint which clamps dissimilar metals together is in trouble.

 When clamping aluminum to aluminum, there is absolutely no need
 for any kind of filler metal.  The grease by itself is good
 enough to protect the joint.  The joint will be plenty conductive
 if the surfaces were cleaned immediately prior to applying the
 grease.  So why would we want to risk corrosion damage to the
 aluminum by including a copper filler metal just in case the
 grease _does_ happen to be the "leaving kind"?

 73, Eric  N7CL >>