[TowerTalk] Re: Widen the Scope - Optimum Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Widen the Scope - Optimum Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:37:30 -0600
Re:  Tower Optimization   de   N4KG

First, one must ask do you want versatility or gain.

Versitility is exemplified by several different antennas at
different heights and different directions, providing good
coverage of all directions and waveangles at the flip of a
switch.  Multiple tribanders is a good way to achieve this.

If you just want a BIG signal, large stacked monobanders
are the way to go.  With lots of antennas, a rotating tower
may be more economical than individual rotors.

For two towers, the 40 / 10 and 20 / 15 combination is a
good approach.  30 ft spacing works well for 5L10's.  35
to 40 ft spacing for  5L15's.  50 ft spacing for 3L20's or 60 ft
for 5 or 6L20's.  80 ft spacing with a pair of 2L40's has as
much gain as a wide spaced 3L40 with the added advantage
of waveangle and directional diversity.

It is tempting to just stack lots of antennas on tall towers.
W6QHS and K6LL among others have found that severe
interactions from closely spaced antennas for different bands
can destroy the added gain of multi element monobanders.
If you can't give your antennas lots of breathing room, you
may be better off with multiple tribanders.

With 2 or more moderately tall towers, suspended 2L 40
Delta Loops are very effective in performance and cost.
Two of them can be placed back to back sharing one reflector.

A 2L Delta loop has as much gain as a short (.25-.30WL)
boom 3L Yagi.  I once suspended a 2L40 Delta Loop from
a 20 ft boom on my 130 ft tower.  KILLER antenna but it
takes up a lot of space on the tower if you are looking to
stack other antennas.

You will likely  never have enough antennas to optimize all
situations on all bands in all directions.  Good luck with
your choices!

de  Tom  N4KG