[TowerTalk] Installing telephone poles

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing telephone poles
From: (Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:55:32 -0800 (PST)
I found a table in -The American Electricians Handbook- 11th Edition-
showing such depths.
It says that for poles in a line, 1/6th the overall depth is one rule.
It also shows a table of depths, with the following for "curves,
corners, and points of extra strain":

pole overall   hole
30              6.0
35              6.5
40              6.5
45              7.0
50              7.5
55              7.5
60              8.0
65              8.5
70              8.5
75              9.0

The dpeths for poles in a straight line is 1/2 foot less.

It also shows two ways of setting poles in concrete for poor soils,
and how to set a pole by hand using pikes or a gin pole.

I also recall the subject being treated thoroughly in the US Navy
Construction Electrician 2+3 training manual, to the point that when I
was a boy, I, with a few friends, placed a 50 foot pine tree in the
middle of an open field, with no adults, and a block and tackle as the
most sophisticated tool used.  I sometimes wish I lived on a farm now.

73, doug

who is still working on getting a Glen Martin 1832 onto the roof.