[TowerTalk] Side Mount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side Mount
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:39:05 -0500
At 09:27 PM 1/4/01 -0700, Arne Gjerning wrote:
>I am happy with this cheap version of rotation of additional yagis on
>the tower. I get about 300 degrees rotation and my installation misses
>150-210 deg of actual rotation coverage. I gain coverage due to width of
>pattern of the yagis.
>
>Designing was fun, mounting was exciting, and operation is smooth as
>silk. Oh, my additional side mount is to allow 10/15M stacks.
>
>OH, sorry Stan and Jay, but building is major part of fun of towers and
>antennas.

In my case, I didn't need the strength (or the expense) of a commercial
sidemount to handle a C3-E.  A neighbor who builds drag racing cars did the
welding on mine, very similar to Stan's in overall design, but with a block
of high density polyethylene for the top bearing and a permanently fixed
gate arm.  The only difficulty with the single-arm "gate" design is the
need to rotate the mast in the rotator to set the direction, since there is
no vertical tube in the gate for the mast to bolt to.  Not a big problem.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at