[TowerTalk] A Good DXPedition HF Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Good DXPedition HF Vertical?
From: heatwole@clark.net (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:27:45 -0500
Fellow TT's:
I will be taking a vacation to ID/MT/WY this summer and would love to take
the rig along and hand out those rare states to some folks on HF. Most of
the trip will be in an RV so I have ruled out using any type of beam or
otherwise directional antenna. And since some operation will be in an RV
park using an inverted L, longwire, inverted V, or dipole is also out of the
question. This leaves only verticals as the antenna of choice. My question
is what type of vertical would be the best to take along?

I would like to have access to 10/15/20m for sure with solid efficiency and
12/17m and 40m/80m would also be nice. I would prefer that 12/17/40m have
decent efficiency and as long as it resonates on 80m that will be fine
(would only be used to work a few West Coast stations there). Access to 30m,
160m, or VHF/UHF will not be necessary. I would also have access to a tuner
if that widens the possibilities.

The smaller the shipping package the better as it will have to survive two
airplane trips. I would really prefer not to have to guy it in average wind
speeds and the shorter the overall height and the faster the assembly time
the better. A mobile antenna would be ok, but would prefer something with
more overall efficiency. As always, the cheaper the better; however, the
specs are more important then the price. Any and all suggestions are much
appreciated.

73, Nat, WZ3AmateurRadio