[TowerTalk] Telrex 40 M Beam restoration

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telrex 40 M Beam restoration
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:08:57 -0800
Hi Chris,

Don't lose heart over my comments. Even if the 40M329 has some weakpoints,
I suspect that between some computer optimization work with the dimensions
and some mechanical modifications to the element design, you'll be able to
come up with a real nice antenna. This antenna is pretty old, so it was probably
designed before people were using NEC and knew about element taper corrections.
In fact, I remember Doc Sheller, KN8Z saying that after Jim Lawson, W2PV came
out with his papers on the effects of element taper, he ended up changing the
dimensions on his Wilson 3 element 40 meter yagi elements by something like 12"
each to make it really play.

If you haven't done so already, pick up a copy of Dave Leeson's book "Physical
Design of Yagi Antennas". This book is a treatise on how to calculate and
improve
wind survival ratings of yagi antenna elements, booms, and masts. With an
Excel spreadsheet, and the taper schedule from the 40M329, you can probably
figure out where it will fail, at what wind speed it will fail,  and how to
improve it.

Have fun!