[TowerTalk] 80m Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Vertical
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:47:18 -0500
At 10:25 AM 1/11/01 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
>Hi Tom and all,
>
>I would absolutely series feed the antenna with a large number of
>radials on each element. Either buried, on the ground, or in the air
>radials are fine as long as you have at least 30 on each vertical.
>
>My 160 meter "four-square" (using 115/230 degree phase shift) has
>60 shallow buried radials, and it actually measures over 6 dB up
>from a 200 foot tower with 100 200 foot radials.

I presume that these field strength readings are made on the ground at a
number of wavelengths from the array.  How is the relevance of these
measurements affected by their being made at ground level -- presumably a
fractional degree of elevation?  Isn't this the same problem that people
(including me) had with the K7LXC/N0AX tribander tests?

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at