[TowerTalk] Information on the Cushcraft R5?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Information on the Cushcraft R5?
From: donhall@myriad.net (Don Hall)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:56:04 -0600
Nat,

Am copying the whole reflector since maybe others are interested.

I took an R5 to Estonia in 1997 where I operated for two weeks as ES5AQ. The
antenna, mounted on a two-story dormitory on a hill was excellent. I worked
all over the world on CW with an ICOM706 barefoot. No hesitancy in
recommending the antenna.

Your questions answered in the same sequence asked:

1. It is 17 feet long fully assembled. It mounts on a 1 7/8 or smaller mast.

2. PL259 screws into the base.

3. It uses traps.

4. Quoted BW w/o tuner
    20M  300kHz
    17M  100kHz
    15M  400kHz
    12M  100kHz
    10M   1700kHz
You should have no trouble with the rig's built-in tuner.

5. Assembled it a midnight(no full darkness up in Tartu at that time and
anxious to get on the air!!) in about 1/2 hour. Had been previously
assembled and used at home before.

6. Don't know. Check the "for sale" web sites.

7. Put my antenna plus coax, spare parts, tools and two dipoles for 80/40 in
4" PVC soil pipe sections with caps then the whole mess into a golf bag
cover purchased from the local sporting goods store.

8. Four radials each 36" long as part of the antenna. Needs no others.

9. 1500 watts

10. Not specified but probably will stand more wind than the operator and
temporary expedition structure!!

73  Don  K5AQ    ES5AQ  9V1SH  7J1AEF  F0HXS