Fw: RE: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Self Supporting Vertical.......

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: RE: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Self Supporting Vertical.......
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:30:23 -0600
Here is K1EA's description of his
self supporting 80M Verticals,
presented with his permission.

de Tom  N4KG

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ken Wolff" <kwolff@ultranet.com>
To: <n4kg@juno.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:22:47 -0500

Hi Tom,

The element fits into a top section of Rohn 45 with a rotor plate mounted
two rungs down.

I had a machine shop put 5 inch holes in the top plate and rotor plate.
Then
I had some "shoulder washers" machined out of 1 inch lexan. The inner
hole
is 4" for the element and the outer ring of the shoulder is 5" to fit the
top plate. Thus, there is a 1/2" ring of insulator between the element
and
top plate.

One interesting thing: We sometimes get nor'easters and hurricanes that
start with the wind out of the east, then rotate through north and on to
west as the storm passes to the east of us. Because the element is bowed
over the entire time, the bottom of the element rotate in the shoulder
washer and sometimes breaks off the feed wire!

This is something I didn't anticipate, and it made me laugh when I
realized
what happened the first time.

I built this four square after Jim Breakalls's talk about raised radial
systems at Dayton (1987). The bases are two sections of Rohn 45 in a yard
of
concrete. The elevated radials are at about 15'. My first contact was a
long
path JA two days before CQWW CW, so I decided to keep it.

There are 700 pounds of aluminum and 8 sections of Rohn 45 in this
antenna,
so it wasn't cheap.

- Ken