[TowerTalk] Anyone using BIG LOG periodic antenns 50ft plus boom lengths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anyone using BIG LOG periodic antenns 50ft plus boom lengths?
From: Don Moman <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> (Don Moman)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:45:39 -0700 (MST)
A Sabre 4-30 mhz log periodic, 19 elements on a 62 foot boom,  has been up
at my QTH for nearly 10 years. It is a significant structure with 80' foot
elements and weighing over a 1000 pounds.

It was a much better antenna when I had less to compare it against! The
active cell region for any frequency is still not that big - maybe if it
was on a 150' boom.

It is a good receiving array on 80m (until the 80m 4 el yagi went up).  On
40 it compares very well to my 3 ele yagi. On the higher bands I'd rate it
roughly equal to a TH-6 - maybe. It works very well on the WARC bands but
I have little interest using it there, save for catching a few rare
dx'peditions. I have many interests in listening outside the ham bands so
it rarely gets transmitted on, even in a contest.

It's big and impressive but the investment required to obtain, install and
rotate such an antenna can also be large. For DX or contesting you could
do better for less $. But if you were stranded on a desert island and
could just have one antenna......

73 Don
VE6JY

VE6JY  Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca