[TowerTalk] Size of Concrete Base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Size of Concrete Base?
From: wx0b@arraysolutions.com (Jay Terleski)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:51:53 -0600
Gentlemen,

I recieved this information from Titanex's Dr. Szobolcs about the
vertical base.

"Dear Jay,

the concrete for V 160HD and V 80HD is depending from the ground
condition.
But  50cm x 50 cm    and  1m deep should be ok."

So .5m X .5m S 1 m deep seems to be their recommendation, for ground
conditions, and please help me out some of you PEs.  If the frost line
in your area is lower than 1 meter should the concrete extend below this
frost line. And if so how much.

The V160HD is a large vertical antenna and it is winched into place with
the base system.  I would think that a hole larger than .5m square would
be good insurance to make sure the base doesn't move around.  And cement
is cheap.

I hope this clarifies the discussion some, and I do hope one of you PE's
will add the additional information needed.

Specs for the V160HD are tapered Titanium AL tubes from 80mm to 18 mm at
the tip.
Weight of antenna without base is 55 lbs.

Jay, WX0B

"Roger C. Stimson" wrote:

> Steve,
>           I have just purchased a Titanex V80 HD vertical antenna.  It
> is 68' x tapered 4 " to 3/4" aluminum and is designed for a
> self-supporting installation.  However, Titanex has not provided any
> engineering drawings for the base which is made of two 3" x 2" x 6' 9"
> galvanized steel c-beams.  Is there a source for determining the size
> concrete foundation for such an antenna?
>            Thanks,
>                         Roger K8RS
>
> --

Jay Terleski